Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective

No photo today, I'm a bit over it after trying to upload the pomegranate treasure masterpiece about 20 times yesterday and it still ending the wrong way up, even though it was the right way up at the start - if you see what I mean. So it's just words today, but good ones at that.

Yesterday, colours predominated my day, today it is words. I went with my daughter to the hairdressers and read a lovely magazine while she was having her hair cut. It was called 'Heritage' magazine and had lots of articles about the UK, basically to do with its history and genealogy and such like. Anyway, I was drawn to the articles about Carmarthen which is a large town in Wales, near where I went to university; about Haworth, home of the Brontes which I used to visit with my mum and dad as a child, absolutely loved it; and the small township of Fowey in Cornwall which gave such inspiration to the wonderful writer Daphne du Maurier. After first reading them, my initial thoughts were 'why am I putting myself through this torture?', these were all places that were very meaningful to me as I was growing up, and I felt a great sadness at missing them. Then I decided to change direction and look at it from a different perspective. I realized that I have been blessed to have had so many experiences and lived in such a wonderful place steeped in history and inspiration. I'm living life in a different country, which is giving me different experiences which will in turn give me inspiration for other different projects. As it is, thinking over my life as a child has given me a heap of inspiration for art projects, and I have a lovely long list of works I wish to produce, much better than having writer's block! I just felt much better after changing my perspective!

No comments: