Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Blogtoberfest Day 4 - An exciting day part 2

Here's a clue to why the day got more exciting ...


and here are 2 clues ...


We have chickens!!!!!  For me that is terribly exciting, one more step to living more healthily and sustainably.  I will drag the family kicking and screaming behind me if I have to.

We spent yesterday making a gate and putting gateposts in, and today making a run for the chookies.  Tomorrow I will get a picture of them.

I did let them run all over the back garden today, because I do want the girls to be as free range as possible.  Unfortunately, they want to be really free range, and made a beeline for the forest behind the house.  I ran off to get a food bowl filled with pellets to lure them back to the garden, by which time a jogger turned up with her dog not on a lead - where did she come from?  The chooks had heard the food and moved towards me, which alerted the dog, who chased the chickens.  Aargh!   I could see myself not getting any more eggs at this rate ... just as my heart was making its way into my throat, a motorbike appeared out of nowhere, which frightened the dog away, who'd frightened the chickens back into the garden.  I read somewhere that keeping pets is a good way of relaxing.  Whoever said that was lying :)

Still, can't wait to go looking for eggs again tomorrow ...

3 comments:

Shells said...

My son and his girlfriend have chicks which they love!! Thanks for participating in BlogtoberFest 2014, keep up the good work!!

Chris said...

I've always wanted chickens. How exciting.

Larissa said...

I love my chooks already! They even put themselves to bed tonight, and they are good company where I'm in the garden! :)