Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Research and Development ...




Just as I write I'm having some technical problems with the computer and not being able to upload today's image. Aaargh!! And I was so proud of it. So I will give up in despair ... until tomorrow that is. I'd tried a quick project as part of my on-going R&D, and as it was quite successful thought I would brag about it here, but alas, to no avail. And now I'm too tired, and too grumpy with the computer to want to try anymore tonight, so you will have to wait until tomorrow for my lovely picture.

Oh, there it is -just magically appeared! Don't hate computers quite as much now. Don't you just love the 'live' nature of today's post ...

Anyway, this is my first try at felting with wool fibres, and I managed to felt an egg!! Weird but true. I'd seen some in a friend's office and finally had the courage to pick the eggs up and see what made them so egg-like. And it was just that - the felt had been made round the egg. So after a quick crash course in felting (read 2 items on the net) I decided to have a go. I wrapped my little egg (with all contents blown out through 2 tiny holes!) lovingly with wool fibres, included some silk sari fibres for the colour then washed it in hand hot water and soft soap. You kind of have to squidge the wool around the egg until it all begins to mat together. Just pretend to be washing your favourite woolie as you've been taught not to - treat it mean! Keep going until it feels 'right'. I think it worked so well because it was natural Corriedale wool, I have heard if wool is coloured it can take a bit longer. I was probably washing and squidging for no more than 10 minutes. Needless to say, I am incredibly proud of my felted egg and will show it to anyone who stands still for more than 5 seconds. I'm hoping to do an artwork with it and a couple more eggs and some homemade felt. Will let you see the results when I've finished.

Gradually been getting used to taking photos on the old digital camera and thought I had understood how to get my photos from the camera to the PC, but NOOOOO, got that wrong. Got in a bit of a muddle and had to get help. So now that's two of us who are feeling a bit touchy! Still, it's all in the name of art.

No comments: