Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Creating Success Around the World

Wow what a week I've had!  In a good way ... I've been super busy with beginning paid work after 8 years away, then I've been super tired with all the new stuff I've been processing!  This week's crafty superstar has some insights and advice about being a working mum.  I gave you a heads up to my guest last week when I showcased some of the lovely handmade goodies and vintage supplies available on Made-It, and showed you the lovely gingham buttons I'd sighted :)  So let's say hello to the lovely Elethea from Sweet 'n' Kitsch ...


What do you create? 
Hi there, my name is Elethea and I’m the owner of SweetnKitsch, a cute little online shop selling new and vintage craft supplies. I’m a full-time mother of four, thrift store shopper, home renovator and part time crafty gal. I’m also the creator of Diddle & Ro, another online shop that which sells vintage inspired girls dresses, hair accessories and quilts, all made by me.

Why do you create?

I started both my stores as a way to make some extra money while at the same time indulging in one of my favourite hobbies – sewing. Creating and selling from home is perfect for a busy mum like me. I have 3 autistic children so life can get ‘interesting’ at times; I need to be able to work flexible hours. Working with vintage fabric makes me happy, and I enjoy making patchwork quilts in my “spare’ time.
Do you sell your creations? If so, how? Where? And is it profitable?
I was making custom made dresses for my online brand Diddle & Ro, plus selling at craft markets, but this started to become quite stressful and time consuming. Thankfully Sweetnkitsch has been doing so well that I’ve been able to have a break from D&R to work on some other craft projects plus start enjoying weekends again with my family.
What mistakes have you made or lessons you have learned?
I’ve made heaps of mistakes! Probably the biggest being that I would be often influenced by what other people were selling and lose focus on what I enjoyed. You really need to love what you create otherwise it just becomes a chore.
I’ve also learned that ‘skimping’ on postage is never a good idea. It’s very easy to fall into that trap of not using enough packaging to keep postage costs down. Customers are usually happy to pay extra shipping if it means their products arrive safely.


 
So what's next?
More products! I have the best time searching for vintage and interesting supplies to sell in my store. I’m also hoping to create an exclusive range of products for SweetnKitsch. I don’t really want say to say too much, as I will probably change my mind a hundred times.
Where can we find you? 
  
SweetnKitsh has a store at Craftumi and Etsy. I’m constantly adding new stock, so make sure you drop by often.
My Diddle and Ro store is currently closed while I work on some new ideas. I’m hoping to have lots of new products in store later in the year.
I also have a blog here – diddleandro.blogspot.com

Well, I'll be sure to visit Elethea's blog, and hope you've enjoyed reading her story here I've so enjoyed interviewing other crafty people - it is so INSPIRING!  Thank you all for sharing your stories - I think I might be running another series like this later in the year.  In the meantime, if you would like to be interviewed or host a blog hop for a month, contact your continent's host or click on the 'Creating Sucess Around the World' button below to contact Jill and give her your name and details :)

Be sure to add your link too - it's great to see what you are all working on and doing in your lives ...




Jill in Australasia
Jill in Australasia
Divya in Asia
DIvya in Asia
Larissa in Australasia
Larissa in Australasia
Charlene in the Americas
Charlene in the Americas
Creating my way to Sucess

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh you are right - Elethea is an inspiration! I'm going now to check out her stores and blog! Thanks for the introduction!

Sally said...

Another great interview... off to check out the store :)