Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

RIP Rik Mayall

We've been watching YouTube videos of Rik Mayall as Captain Flash-heart tonight.  My hubby and I have been so sad at the news that Rik Mayall died today :(  He was part of our childhood.  I remember mum letting us watch 'The Young Ones' when dad went out, and Rik was always my favourite.  He was just so awful!  I was only 12 when the series first appeared on the telly ...

Image from www.cracked.com
Then he appeared in one of my favourite films ever 'Drop Dead Fred'.  Now we don't get to see him anymore.


But he will always live on in many people's memory as that spotty student who wrote terrible awesome poetry.

Like this one:

"Pollution
All around
Sometimes up
And sometimes down
But always around.
Pollution, are you coming to my town?
Or am I coming to yours?
We're on different buses, pollution
But we're both using petrol
Bombs."


And 'The Young Ones' must have been good if dear Cliff Richard felt lead to do a song with them, again one of my favourite quotes (and concept of the 'freedom moped'!) from the song:

Rick:      "Hey kids, stop snogging and pay attention to me. 'Cos if
            you're a wild-eyed loner standing at the gates of Oblivion,
            hitch a ride with us. 'Cos we're on the last freedom moped out
            of Nowhere City, and we haven't even told our parents what
            time we'll be back ! So put on your dancing trousers, and get
            down to the utter King of Rock and Roll, CLIFF RICHARD !!!"
           
RIP Rik, you will be missed.


1 comment:

Mike Bandy said...

You've let the cat out of the bag now.