Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012


Here are my little crochet squares, being sorted into two halves so I can sew them together in a seemingly random, yet kind of organized manner!  I am trying to finish projects rather than constantly start new ones - completion is good too!


Woke up in the early hours of this morning thinking about a film I'd seen recently called 'Contagion'.  Rather than being purely about people catching a virus and it spreading quickly, it's also a brutally frank study of human behaviour.  Fascinating, thought-provoking and very scary as it shows us the shadow side of humanity (but also the honourable side).  I think New Year resolutions are a kind of contagion - we all catch the bug for making new resolutions, then destroy our self-esteem by not meeting the expectations we set for ourselves.  I would rather look at dreams and projects for the year ahead - if you can own the intention, and love what you want to do I believe you have more chance of staying the distance.  And the good thing about dreams is that they never go away - they may change shape and form as you develop, but that is brilliant!  My dream project for the year is to look at my roots - how my life in my homeland and subsequent new homes in other countries has shaped me.  I've been mulling it over for a few years since I came back from the UK with a load of old family photos and copies of documents.  Whilst I've been pretty slack at keeping up with the research on ancestry.com I feel like I can explore and express my discoveries through art, so that's what I'll be doing.  It's something I've been planning for a while, now it's time for action!  And of course I'll be documenting it here as I go ...

Part of my journey has been to find some blogs about my last UK home on the Isle of Wight, and I found a lovely one called 'The Living Isle' with simply great writing and beautiful photos - I aspire to write as he does!  Check it out here ...

1 comment:

Rob said...

Thank you for the kind words, Larissa. I'm with you on the approach to New Year resolutions - better to channel more energy into something we care about, and the negative stuff somehow filters away. Best wishes for 2012 and your roots project!