Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

A day of art and craft - wins against the X-box!


Today I was determined that Little Man would not be a 'screen slave' to the Xbox or computer, so I disturbed him whilst playing his game and asked if he wanted to do some clay work with mum.  Without looking up he said 'later' and carried on playing.  I walked off.  A minute later he came running up to me and said "I'd like to do clay now", and so we did.  And some fantastic little models we made too.  They've got to dry now, before we have another day of painting (yay, more distraction from the dreaded games console!)   I did try to make a whimsical monster, but somehow ended up with an angel like creature with one eye on its face and an eye on each wing - Little Man made them for me and asked me to use them.  That's the thing I love about clay - you may have an idea of what you want to make, but the clay usually has other intentions - it could become anything!


So that was the quick craft - here's a pic of my cross-stitch pin cushion I finally finished yesterday.  My friend in New Zealand gave it to me as a birthday gift back in 2003 and I've been working on it on and off since then!  It's too nice to use as a pin cushion though, I don't want to wreck the stitching, so I've tied it to a lovely gold ribbon and I'll hang it from a door, then everyone can admire it.  And whenever I see it, I can remember my NZ friend and our Monday afternoons spent together crafting.  Sweet memories indeed ....

2 comments:

violette said...

Hi Lara~

Thanks so much for the lovely card - just sent you one yesterday....hope it doesn't take long to reach you.
I posted a call on my blog yesterday for help for the flooding in Australia......hope you guys are okay!
I love your little spirit dolls on the sidebar....so sweet.

Love, Violette xo

Michelle said...

A triumph over video games is a triumph, indeed. Hurray for you! My little man is drawn to the screen, too, but I've been able to tempt him away with crafts and creations. We will prevail! ;-)