Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Embrace your creativity!


I have a new hero - he's called Sir Ken Robinson and he's pretty amazing! I've always personally believed that by the time we are adults our inborn creativity is pretty much squashed out of us. Until recently I've been on a one woman quest to encourage people to embrace their creativity, wondering if anyone else felt the same as I do, or was I in fact a little bit mad. However, more and more people are coming into my life who share the same belief; on 'The 7.30 Report' programme for the past two nights Sir Ken Robinson has been interviewed about his views on education and creativity and what responsibility education has for encouraging and nurturing the innovators of the future. Well, I've been doing a little more research and found lots of information about him and written by him such as the quote below - it really outlines a major problem in the world today:

"We are educating people out of their creativity".

I also love what he has to say on people finding, or not finding, their passion and the difference it makes to their lives and communities in general:

"I'm always struck by how many adults have no idea what their real talents are, or whether they have any at all. Many people just do what they do with no particular passion or commitment to it. I know others who genuinely love what they do; who would probably do it for free if they had to, and can't imagine doing anything else. Understanding what makes the difference is essential for transforming education, business, and communities to meet the real challenges of the twenty-first century."

It's awesome that a man who holds these beliefs about creativity also has so much influence in the wider world. It's certainly motivated me to keep on my journey to help people bring creativity back into their lives. Sir Ken Robinson is much more eloquent than I am on this subject and has written some books as well, so if you would like to read more on his work you will find the link to his website here, a talk and other links on ted.com here, and the blog article with the main quote. It's a fascinating and important subject.

Trying to be as creative as I could I decided to produce tonight's drawing using only the materials I could find in the office pencil pot!

No comments: