Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beginnings ...


Here's the beginning of my quilting!  The traditional method for grandmother's garden quilts is to quilt every single hexagon - there are over 1000 in my small quilt - but I am determined to complete them all.  I've finished 7.  Shouldn't take long then ...

Talking of new beginnings, one of my children, who's old enough to work now, got her first job today in a local cafe.  I could take a leaf or two out of her book - she walked around the village by herself, presented a little card with her name and details and basically 'cold called' on some of the businesses.  I am so very proud of her as she had the nerve to go out into the big world and ask for what she wanted.  It's the first big step of her adult life - one she will probably never forget.

Also spring is in the air, although it doesn't start until September 1st officially.  I love, love, love the spring - the time of new beginnings.  Already some daffodils are beginning to bloom - I tell you the weather has gone a little bit mad!  Even at 10 o'clock in the evening we can still hear happy, courting magpies. All day, they've been pinching the fibres from last year's hanging baskets in our gardens to make their nests.  Everything feels like it's all waking up, energized for the time ahead.  It feels good!

2 comments:

Kathleen Harrington said...

That is a great beginning! I guess in grandma's day, she had more time for a 1000 hex quilt. No Facebook, no Twitter, no Blog, no TV. I will patiently await your lovingly attended finished quilt.

Amanda said...

WoW!! Your little girl is awesome! Hope she enjoys her new job!
Lovely quilting!