Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

AEDM - my union flag

Today's offering is based on an embroidery design my friend created the other day as well as the fact I'm missing the UK quite a bit at the moment.  It's always worse at this time of year as Christmas approaches (it's really not that far away ..) and I start to miss family more and more and wish it would snow.  Hardly likely to happen here :)

My homesickness makes me seek out stories from home and my book of choice this time has been 'The Ten Second Staircase' by Christopher Fowler.  I discovered Mr Fowler quite by accident at our library earlier in the year when I picked up one of his books because it had a Union flag on the front and the title was intrinsically English - 'The Victoria Vanishes'.  That was enough for me!  Now I generally follow the maxim not to judge a book by its cover, but this time I was right to do that.  I find the Bryant and May detective series very witty, the stories fantastical but believable in the same moment and I love the combination of logic and the esoteric.  I'm also getting to like the sound of London, the scene for the stories; visiting in my teenage years as a 'country bumpkin' from Devon at the time, I found the capital city intimidating, whereas now I'm becoming curious about it's history.  Simply brilliant, but don't take my word for it, read the books for yourself.  I felt a little saddened that I had to explain to Big B (who was very young when we left the UK) that the names Bryant and May were taken from a brand name for matches, but even he could see the wit in that.  I'm trying to convert him too.  You can check out more at the author's blog.

And if you want to be inspired by more art every day this month, check it out here ...

thinking about it, my next pic will be something from my life here in Australia, just in case people start thinking I'm unhappy here, because I do like it!

2 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post ~ wonder how long you have been away from 'home' ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

linda said...

I can relate to the Christmas homesickness, I've been here 40+ years and still feel it. only at Christmas though!
linda x